4 Farmer Angus egg whites
1 cup castor sugar
1 tbs cornflour
1 tbs white vinegar
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Whisk until peaks begin to form.
- Slowly add the sugar and keep whisking well, until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Check that the sugar is dissolved properly by rubbing some mixture between your fingers.
- Add the cornflour and one tablespoon of white vinegar. Keep whisking until the meringue is stiff peaked and glossy. The mixture should almost triple in volume.
- Shape the mixture into a rough circle on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place the pavlova into the oven at 150°C. Bake for 45 minutes, then reduce to 120°C for final 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before topping it with fresh fruit, lemon curd or ice-cream.