- 2kg smoked Farmer Angus gammon
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 celery stalks cut into 5cm pieces
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 black peppercorns
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp English mustard
- Cover the gammon with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Pour water off and add fresh cold water. Add the onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves and peppercorns and bring to the boil again.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hr 30 minutes. Turn the gammon over halfway through the cooking time.
- Strain the gammon and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Use a small knife to remove the rind from the gammon, leaving as much of the fat intact as possible. Score the fat in a diamond pattern.
- Place the gammon in a large roasting pan and place in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing the honey and mustard together and brush evenly over the gammon. Roast in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan for even cooking.
- Cook until the fat is glossy and golden brown.
- Remove the gammon from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Keep aside any remaining juices to use as a gravy.
Please visit us at Vadas Smokehouse & Bakery, situated at Spier Wine Farm, Baden Powell Drive in Stellenbosch. We look forward to welcoming you. We are open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week.
You can check out the rest of our menu at https://www.vadas.co.za/menu.